6/16/2012

1.1


Blush had started showing recently, and all she ever did was rub her belly. She was even more annoying to be around than before. I personally didn't want the baby to come, because it was obvious that it was my replacement. Once the baby got here my dad would have a new wife and a new kid, and he wouldn't need me anymore. I guess that's just as well, since I would only be here about nine more months anyway.
It was Friday night, and I had settled in to read a book that my English teacher assigned. We didn't have to have it read for a few more weeks, but the sooner I got it over with, the sooner it would be behind me. I'd just got good and comfy when I heard my phone vibrating on my coffee-table. I suppressed a sigh. There was only one person who could be calling me; Orchid. Not that I didn't want to talk to her... But she'd just left my house about an hour ago.
As soon as I hit the send button, Orchid's voice blasted in my ear. "OMB, Moony, have you heard?!"

I blinked a couple of time, trying to get rid of the ringing in my ears. "Seeing as how you haven't told me yet, probably not."

"Prom is in two months and they're having it at the warehouse instead of in the gym!"

I was silent, prom. It had been dreading it, dances weren't really my cup of tea. "That's great, Orchid, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun."

Her line was silent for awhile before she responded, "Aren't you going?"

"Of course not, Iddy, you know I never go to these things." I used her nick-name to try and keep from hurting her feelings. She always wanted me to go with her, but I was never really interested.

"I bet I can say something that will make you want to go," I rolled my eyes and didn't answer, here we go, "Miss Blackberry is the chaperone, so you know there'll be drinking."

It was at this point that I started to get a little excited. I didn't like dances, but Miss Blackberry was really cool, and I'd only ever gotten drunk once.. I would like to again. Orchid went to parties all the time, but I didn't know very many people, so I didn't let her drag me along.

"Oh, now that sounds like a good time!" I exclaimed. She squealed on the other line.

"Good! Do you think you could get Blush to do our hair and maybe pick out our dresses?" 

I sighed loudly, "You know I don't like her."

"I know, but she's so fashionable and I'm sure she could make us look great! It's her job, after all."

I groaned, but I knew looking good meant a lot to Orchid. "I'll see what I can do."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, Blush agreed to fix us up for prom right away, even insisting on paying for half of the expensive designer dress she'd picked out for Orchid. Orchid arrived at my house at twelve that Saturday, and I allowed her to go first. She was more excited than me, anyway.
And Orchid looked stunning when she was finished, of course. I can't deny that Blush is good at what she does. Orchid was absolutely thrilled about it, but I became nervous when it was my turn.
I stepped up on the platform and immediately felt self-conscious. Suddenly I was regretting agreeing to go to prom at all.. But we'd already paid for my dress and Orchid was counting on me. I closed my eyes tightly as Blush started working on me.
When I got finished, I was pleased enough with how I looked. I looked prettier than normal, but I still could never surpass Orchid or any of the other girls at prom. I would always be second-best.
And things only got worse when arrived, I'd never partied with Orchid before... But apparently all she cares about when she drunk is being with a good-looking guy. Not like that but she just wants to be around them. I sat at the bar by myself, working on my second drink. I was contemplating just going home.

But then I felt a light tap on my shoulder and turned around to see a girl that I recognized but had never really spoke to. Lily Wisp Lace. What did she want?

"Hey!" She chimed, "I couldn't help but notice that you're sitting all by yourself." Her voice was warm and kind, she wasn't trying to be mean.
"Yeah." I responded weakly. I didn't want to admit that Orchid had abandoned me and I didn't have any other friends.

But when Lily looked at me, I got the eerie feeling that she knew exactly what I was thinking. "Hey! You should dance with my brother, I'll get him!" Her chest swelled as she took a deep breath to scream for him, but I grabbed her arm.

"No! No! That's alright!" She gave me a slightly insulted look and I started, "N-not that he isn't a good guy or anything, I-I," I looked down at me feet, unable to say that I was scared of dancing with him - or any guy.

She seemed to understand, and the smile reappeared on her face, "Come and dance with me and sister, then. It's took me weeks to get her to come, and if I can get her dance, I know I can get you to."

I returned her smile for the first time that night, "Alright, I'll dance."
I danced a little apart from everyone else, a smile on my face. I was glad that Lily had convinced me to dance. It was just what I needed to make the night good.
Everyone else eventually trickled onto the dance floor - including Orchid, who I hadn't been able to locate all night. Before I knew it, she'd made her way over to me and was falling on me.

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" She exclaimed, and I had to wonder if it was true. "Dance with meeee!" She whined, and I nodded.
Orchid and I danced together for the rest of the night, I would have liked for prom to have lasted longer... But at ten we were told to say our good-byes and be home before curfew.
I made it home feeling happy and light. I jumped in the shower and washed my make-up and hair product off. I was glad to change into my PJs and it didn't even bother me to clean Mackster's cage. I'd had a lot of fun at prom, and it was just what I needed to lighten things up a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the last few months of my senior year, I did what I'd always done. I struggled through increasingly difficult homework. The teachers wanted to "prepare" us for what we would be doing outside of school. If only they knew that my future lay in gardening and a little bit of fishing, maybe then they would stop assigning me this useless math.
In between bouts of homework, I would make time for visiting Orchid. We'd always been close, and I didn't want to fall out of touch with her because I was busy with stuff I didn't care about.

"I just don't know how to tell him," I was complaining, "I mean, I don't think he'll care... But what do I do if he starts crying or something."
She shrugged and smiled, "I've already told my parents. The longer you give him to deal with it, the better it will be. My parents took it surprisingly well. Mom cried a bit, but Dad just seemed to accept it. He might even be happy that you're getting out on your own."

I nodded, but her advice didn't make me feel any better. As much as I was mad at him for being with Orchid.. I didn't want to hurt him at all.
And I even made time for hanging out with Lily. She and I had stayed in contact after prom, and while Orchid would always be my best friend, it was nice to have other friends too. She didn't judge me for being "vanilla". I think it's because her mom is. We talked about plans after graduation a lot. Rosee was completely certain of what she wanted to do; work at the local business. She already had an internship secured and everything. Lily wanted to work for the local police force, which meant she would be going away for a couple of months for training after we graduated. Neither of them could believe that all I wanted to do was garden, but they never pressured me not to follow my dreams.
When I wasn't with my friends or doing homework, I was fishing. I had to lie about it, though, because Blush didn't want me doing those "nasty" things. That included gardening. I don't see what's so gross about it, but oh well. They wouldn't be able to stop me soon.
And inevitably, Blush went into labor. Of course, I just had to be walking through the living-room when it happened. I watched her stiffen, and then gasp in pain. Water splattered on the floor.

"DAD!" I screamed before she had a chance to do anything. He was in the living-room within seconds, and they were rushing off to the hospital. I got the house to myself for two whole days, because it took Blush nearly 24 hours to deliver her baby.
She had a little boy, whom they named Mocha. I haven't even touched him, but she and Dad were crazy about him. They were almost always in the nursery, and Dad always threw a fit when he had to leave for work. I couldn't stand it, so I stayed in my room as much as possible.
One morning when I was eating breakfast in Mom's place, Dad came in and sat down with me. My stomach clenched. Now seemed like the perfect time to tell him.. He was so happy with Mocha, and graduation was right around the corner. Yes, now was perfect.

"Dad, I'm moving out with Orchid after I graduate." The words just tumbled out, not how I wanted them to at all.
He looked down at his plate, and I stared at him guiltily.

"I knew you would want to move out someday.. I just didn't think you would want to so soon..." His voice was pained, he was clearly asking for an explanation.

"I'm not happy here, Dad. I don't like Blush, you know that. She never lets me garden or fish or do anything that I want. I want to be able to be me without causing any problems. Besides, you have Mocha now, so you don't need me." The last sentence slipped out before I could stop it, and his gaze jerked up to mine.

"How can you think that?" He questioned, looking even more hurt than before.
But before I could even think of anything to say, he was grabbing his plate and leaving.
I stared down at my food for a long time, guilt churning in my stomach. I never thought that this would make me feel so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Awww poor Moon. :( I am glad she had a fun time at prom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ): Her dad's feelings were just really hurt.

      Delete