6/16/2012

1.3

It had been a few weeks since Orchid and I moved into our house, and both of us were settling in well. Orchid’s career was going well, especially when she found out that her boss was Rosee and Lily’s dad; Kobi. This didn’t exactly grant her free promotions, but it gave her an edge over the rest of her co-workers.

 As for me, I’d never planned on getting job, but on supporting myself through a garden. So of course I got started right away on making one. Gardening came naturally to me, even though I’d never gardened before. I loved it from the moment I dug a hole and planted my first seed. It was relaxing, and I really couldn’t get enough of it. It didn’t bother me when I got  dirty, that’s what showers were for! All of the joy that it gave me made me resent Blush even more for making me wait so long.

 Of course, owning your own house isn’t all rainbows and butterflies. While we had enough money to pay the bills, we didn’t have enough money for a dish-washer. Most of the house-hold chores fell on my shoulders; since Orchid worked long hours. Washing  the dishes wasn’t my favorite thing to do, but there was one thing I hated more.

 Cleaning the toilet. Seriously, I’d  never done something more nasty in my whole life. I cleaned the toilet about once every two weeks, and that was about all I could stand. I never knew how hard it was to keep a house clean before I had to clean one myself.

 Of course, I didn’t spend all of my time at home. While  Orchid was at work, I liked to haunt one of the local parks. It was great for fishing, and it was beautiful and peaceful. No one ever came here, though I couldn’t understand why. It didn’t bother me. I’ve never been overly social, and Orchid, Rosee, and Lily are plenty of friends for me.

 Wait. Did I say no one ever came here? I guess I stand corrected. I heard the boards on the board-walk creak, and looked up to find this. I wasn’t sure who he was, I definitely didn’t go to high-school with him. When he looked back at me, I felt heat burn under my cheeks and stared at the fishing pole in my hands, praying to the great Berry above that he wouldn’t talk to me.

 I closed my eyes tightly as I heard him walking closer to me. All I could do was pray with all my might that he would keep walking.

“Hey.” I suppressed a groan. I’d never prayed to Berry before, I guess I couldn’t just expect Her to listen all of a sudden. I put my fishing pole down and turned around. I took his outstretched hand, hoping that mine wasn’t sweating.

“Hi.” I mumbled awkwardly.

“My name is Mulberry Wood, what’s your name?” I felt my voice catch in my throat, but eventually choked out a response.

“I’m Moon Glow Whisper.” He smiled warmly at me.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled back and nodded, keeping my mouth firmly closed.

 We stood in awkward silence for awhile before he finally spoke again. “I’ve never seen anyone else here before, how often do you come here?”

I looked down at my feet before looking back up at him. “Well, I’ve been coming here for the past few days…”

“Ah, I see, I’ve been fishing in other places lately. I couldn’t help but notice that you like to fish too, it’s great isn’t it?” He smiled again, I was starting to feel more at ease.

 “Yeah, I mean, I love anything as long as it is outside. Gardening is probably my favorite thing to do.” I smiled sheepishly, hoping he wouldn’t think I was stupid.

“I have a bit of a green thumb myself, but I can’t deny that fishing is my passion.” We both laughed a bit, my apprehension evaporating as easily as mist in the sunlight. I’d never met another berry who liked the same things that I did.

 Before long, the two of us were laughing like we were old friends. We had a lot in common, and for some reason I didn’t feel the same awkwardness around him that I did around other berries I didn’t know. He told me he’d recently moved to Starburst Shores, and I told him I’d been living here since I was four. Things were going well, and I didn’t even notice how late it was getting.

Every time he smiled, I got this weird sensation in my stomach.. Like this tingly feeling. I wasn’t really sure, but I was pretty sure that I liked Mulberry.. Like.. liked him, liked him. I’d never had a crush before, and I could feel myself falling way too fast for the handsome berry I had just met.

More time passed and before I knew it, it was seven in the evening and my belly was growling. Orchid would be worried if I wasn’t home by the time she got off work.. It wasn’t like me to stay out late.

“I really need to get going.” I mumbled, feeling regret that I couldn’t stay longer.

A small frown pulled at his lips, and I assumed he was feeling the same, “Why?”

“Because Orchid will be worried if I’m not home before she gets off work.”

At this point, his brows were furrowing in confusion. “Aren’t you a little old to have to do what mommy tells you?”

The question was harsh, and I glared at him. Of course, he had no way of knowing what he just said was a tender area for me. “Orchid is my roommate.”

 Another breathtaking smile appeared on his face, “Lighten up, I was just playing.”

I felt embarrassed and scuffed my toes in the dirt. “Sorry about that.” I mumbled.

“No worries, when you gotta go, you gotta go.” The smile continued to play at his lips, “Wanna meet again sometime?”

I felt a wave shock roll over me at the question, and almost said no.. But before I really knew what was happening, I was nodding. We exchanged numbers, and I continued to feel sad that I couldn’t stay with him a little longer.

 He pulled me into a hug, and even though I barely knew him, I found myself hugging him back happily.

“I’ll see you some other time, okay?”

“Alright.” I agreed, and we went our separate ways.

 I got home at eight, and by the time I’d eaten something, it was only eight-thirty. I couldn’t wait for Orchid to get home so I could tell her about Mulberry. I still had the tingly feeling in my stomach, and I was bursting at the seams to tell someone. In fact, I almost got out my phone and called Lily about it. But she probably wouldn’t appreciate me interrupting her at whatever she was doing. She’d been busy with the police force since she’d gotten back a few days ago.

 When I heard the door opening, I practically shot off the couch and ran to meet her. She laughed a bit, “Good to see you too, Moony.”

“OMB, Orchid, I met the most amazing guy today!” The words tumbled out of my mouth so fast  that I was surprised she understood me at all. For a moment, I thought I saw something strange cross her face, but it was gone as soon as I’d seen it… I must have imagined it.

A moment later, a smile was on her face. “Well, tell me all about him! What’s his name, where’d you meet him, is he haannddssoommee?!”

I felt a blush appear on my cheeks at her last question.

 Even though we were the only ones in the house, I leaned forward to whisper in her ear. “He’s really handsome!” I muttered excitedly, “His name is Mulberry Wood and-”

 I stopped talking when she pulled away from me with a frown, “Oh, Moony..” She mumbled.

“What?” I questioned, my heart had practically stopped. Why wasn’t she happy?

“I guess you haven’t heard, but Mulberry isn’t really a good  guy. Since he moved to town a few weeks ago, he’s been through several berries.” I didn’t want her to continue talking, but she did. “He is really mean to whoever he dates, apparently. Poor Boo Splash was in tears all the time when she was with him. He’s really cruel.”

I felt anger wash over me when I heard her words. I wanted to believe that she was lying to me, but Orchid was my best friend.. Why would she do that?

“Oh..” I mumbled, I didn’t really know what else to say.

“I’m really sorry, Moony, I can tell you like him a lot.” Her voice really was full of regret, so I smiled and shrugged.

“I didn’t know him for too long, I’ll just forget about him.” She looked at me doubtfully, and something deep inside told me it wouldn’t be that easy. I was feeling mutinous toward Orchid, and if he called me  to hangout again, I don’t know if I would tell him no. “Anyway, I’m gonna go to bed.”

She laid her hand on my shoulder, “Alright, I’m sorry I had to be the barer of bad news.”

“It’s alright, really.” I shrugged her hand off and headed for the bedroom.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I think Orchid's lying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I think Orchid's lying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I think Orchid's lying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:21 AM

    I think Orchid's lying...

    ReplyDelete