6/16/2012

1.6

When I woke up the next morning, my head was pounding. My vision was blurry, I felt nauseous, and I just wanted to lay back down. But I had to force myself up, I had  a garden to tend. I groaned loudly as I sat up, feeling light headed. I placed a hand on my head, closed my eyes, and the patchy memories from the night before started filling my vision. A fight… Orchid and I had fought over Mulberry. Suddenly, I stiffened.. I opened my eyes very slowly, not wanting to see what I knew I would see.

 Orchid’s bed was empty. Worry washed over my like waves, had she made it home okay? I couldn’t remember… I left without her. I stood up, swaying a bit, and walked out of the room. She wasn’t in the living room either…

 I made my way to the bathroom and got in the shower, feeling numb. What would I do if she was hurt? What would I do if our fight had been the last words that passed between us? How could I live with myself? Because now that I no longer had alcohol in my system, I knew that I was in the wrong. Yeah, maybe she shouldn’t have spied on me, but I shouldn’t have been lying in the first place.

 I left the bathroom and went back in the living room, half hoping that Orchid had made it home while I was showering.. But I knew before I ever opened the bathroom door that that wouldn’t be the case. I grabbed my phone off of the coffee table to see that I had several texts and missed calls… Most of them were from Mulberry, who I’d promised I would call when I got home, and one of them was from Lily. I sent a quick text to Mulberry to let him know I was okay, and then dialed Orchid’s number. Deep in my heart I knew she wouldn’t answer.

 But when she didn’t, a wave of panic crashed over me so hard that I could barely breath. Eventually I got a hold of myself enough to think. Lily had called me at three in the morning.. Orchid had to be with her. Why else would she call me? I dialed her number quickly, dread filling my stomach at the thought that she might not answer.

 But I needn’t have worried, she answered on the second ring.

“Hello?” Her voice was tired, she must have just got off work.

“Oh, Lily!” I exclaimed, “Please, please, please, please tell me Orchid is with you and okay!”

She was silent for a bit before she finally spoke, “Yeah, she rolled in around three this morning. She seemed really upset, what happened?”

Guilt clawed at my stomach, I didn’t really want to admit how horrible I’d been. “We got in a fight.”

“Mm, over you lying to her?” I sighed. I knew that Lily would know, since she was the one who would have told Orchid I hadn’t been to her house in a long time.

“Yeah..” I mumbled.

“You guys are way too close to let Mulberry come between you,” I cringed, Orchid must have told her too. When I didn’t respond, she continued talking. “Oh, Moon, Orchid is your bestfriend. Even if she doesn’t approve of what you’re doing, she’ll be there for you! Rosee and I will too, you have to remember that. You aren’t alone.”

I swallowed, blinking back a tear. How was that Lily was always so wise? “Th-thank you, Lily, that means a lot.”

“I think you better come over here and talk to Orchid.” I knew she was right, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t scared.

 When I arrived at her house, Lily was about to leave. I ran up to her.

“Where is she?”

“In my bedroom, I just got called in, but my roommates are here.. They know you’re coming.”

I nodded, and made my way up the stairs and into the house.

 I located Lily’s room with the help of one of her roommates. When I turned the doorknob and walked in, my feet felt like lead. This was probably one of the hardest things I’d ever had to do.. But then, I was never good at facing the truth. Orchid was laying on Lily’s bed, her arm was over her eyes, but I could tell by her breathing that she wasn’t sleeping. I could also tell by the way she was laying that she didn’t feel very good at all.

“I’m alright…” She mumbled, almost as if someone had been in to check on her periodically and she was used to saying the words.

“Its-its me.. Orchid.” I spoke just loud enough for her to hear me. She stiffened a bit, but didn’t look at me.

 Grief washed over  me as she blatantly ignored me. “Oh Orchid! I’m so sorry for being such a berryhole! I’m so sorry!” The words were gushing out before I could stop them, and it was all I could do not to cry. I’m not big on the whole tear scene, crying  is a waste of time. If I hadn’t been so against it, I’m sure I would have been crying by now. “Please forgive me! I know it was so wrong of me to lie to you! I should have known you would have kept being friends with me even if you don’t approve of Mulberry! I just didn’t want you to be disappointed and…” I trailed off as she sat up and looked at me. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, but before I could start blabbering again she stood and walked over to me.

 She stared at me for a long time. I wanted to continue screaming about how sorry I was, but I knew Orchid well enough to know that I’d already said everything worth saying.

“You’re right, Moon, I do not approve of Mulberry. But you know what?” I couldn’t read her tone, I couldn’t tell what she was about to say.

“What?” I whispered.

“I’m sorry too.” I just looked at her for awhile, what was she talking about?

 “F-for what?” I stuttered, still a little shocked.

“For making you feel like I disapproved so much that you couldn’t talk to me. Moony, honey, you’ve always been this way. I should have known better than to react to your news the way I did. Now, tell me about how Mulberry treats you.” I couldn’t help but to smile. My smile was so big and a goofy that Orchid grinned too. “Well..?” She prompted.

 “Are you sure it’s okay? I still feel like such a berryhole.” The smile had disappeared from my face when I realized she was trying to change the subject. Why didn’t she want to talk about our fight?

“Honestly, Moon, my feelings are still a little hurt.. But I forgive you! I honestly hadn’t planned to approach you when you were drunk, but at the time it seemed like a good idea.” She smiled weakly at me.

I smiled back, “Okay, if you’re sure.. I guess I can tell you about Mulberry…” I grinned playfully.

“You better!” She exclaimed, punching my arm.

“Well, I love him so much! He makes me feel so happy and safe. And I know you said he treated Boo badly, but he’s never even been mean to me at all. He’s always so gentle, and he listens to what I say when I’m sad.” I felt like swooning, and Orchid laughed.

 “I’m happy for you,” she said  as she pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back tightly, glad that I hadn’t lost my bestfriend forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Five months later, things were still going really well for me. Orchid and I were as close as ever, and you gotta know me and Mulberry were still going strong. We’d been seeing each other for over a year now, and it had been a little over two years since I’d moved out. Orchid was getting closer to her dream every day, and my garden was beautiful. The only thing  that might have made things better was if my dad would talk to me.

 But when Mulberry pulled me into his arms and held me close, I could forget about the one thing in my life that wasn’t right. Any girl should be jealous of me. I had a beautiful, caring, wonderful boyfriend. I had a great bestfriend, and I had two other friends I wouldn’t trade for the world. My house was good enough, and I was living my dream. I sighed into Mulberry’s shoulder, nuzzling his neck. Any awkwardness I’d ever felt toward him had evaporated, and I wasn’t afraid to be myself around him.

 “I’ve missed you a lot lately,” he murmured, as he held my face and looked into my eyes. It was amazing how he could still make me go weak at the knees.

“Silly, it’s only been two days since we’ve seen each other.” I laughed a bit, but honestly I missed him every moment I wasn’t with him.

“So? I miss my Moony all the time.” I giggled a bit.

 He ran his fingers lightly over my cheeks, and even though we’d been together for so long, the way he looked at me still made me blush. He didn’t speak as he just looked at me for awhile. It was strange, really. Not to say Mulberry wasn’t affectionate, but tonight he was acting differently. Suddenly things I didn’t want to think sped through my mind. Was he going to leave me? Why else would he be acting so strange? Was he cheating on me? My heart started pounding, and I must have looked frightened because he moved closer to me.

 “What’s wrong, baby?” He questioned, grabbing my hand in his.

“N-nothing,” I stuttered in response.

“You sure? Cause I wouldn’t feel right doing this if you don’t feel well.” My heart dropped through my ass, he was leaving me.

“No, I’m fine.” I forced myself to smile, I wanted to get it over with.

 He let my fingers slide out of his hand and got down on one knee. I gasped so loudly I was sure all of Starburst Shores heard me. Could it really be?

 He pulled out the ring and I allowed my hands to cover my face in shock.

“Moon, you know me well enough to know I’m not good at the sentimental stuff.. But I’m willing to try for you. Everything you heard about me when we first started dating was the truth, Orchid wasn’t lying to you. I was bad news, I always have been. But the more time I spent with you, the softer you made me. I felt myself changing, and I knew you were the cause. I guess what I’m trying to say is: you’re amazing, Moon, I love you… Will you marry me?”

My shoulders were shaking with the effort of holding back tears by the time he was finished. I hadn’t expected this at all, and I was feeling wary. I loved him so much, but could someone really change? I shook my head yes, unable to speak.

 As I felt the cool metal of the ring slip over my finger, I grinned like a fool. Could anyone really change? I didn’t know, but I was willing to believe in the one berry who was able to steal my heart. If anyone could change, I hoped with everything it was Mulberry.

 He pulled me into a tight hug, and I leaned on him. The effort of not crying was really getting to me.

“I’m so glad you said yes.” He whispered in my ear.

“Oh, Mulberry…”

No comments:

Post a Comment